Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lower the Drawbridge!

A sudden rush of enthusiasm, helped by the fact that I'm on holidays actually saw some work on Byron Creek. Namely the construction of a lift up flap or drawbridge to allow access to the train room. There has been much procrastination...I mean planning as this is my first attempt at building one of these.
First thing to do was decide whether to go for a lift up, a drop down, lift out or even sideways swinging (like a door) section. I decided the easiest would be a classic lift up as can be seen in the pic below.


Next pic is of course with the drawbridge in the lowered position. There will be fascias fitted to this just to finish it off and the module to the left will be trimmed back to line up with the front edge of the lift up section. For now though, this will be ready for laying track to join up with the fiddle yard to the right.


This turned out to be easier than I thought. I was able to move the fiddle yard modules on the right a little to close the gap where the free end of the lift up section meets the module to the left.
Over the next day or two I will work on the other end of the layout to close the gap there, completing the benchwork on all four sides of the room and allowing trains to run once more!

2 comments: