Saturday, December 5, 2009

Oceanic Cafe


A recent "discovery" for me is the Oceanic Cafe in Surry Hills near Central railway station in Sydney, Australia. This place was recommended to me by a few of my fellow workers as a place to get very cheap, old fashioned home style meals.

This cafe has been here almost unchanged since the 1930's. Not only is the interior decor from the 30's but so is the menu and the old lady who runs the place (along with her daughter) is said to have been there since then!


About the most expensive item on the menu, lamb chops at $9! All the meals at the Oceanic are served with hand cut potato chips, onions, peas and two slices of white bread with butter provided on a little silver dish. No fancy spices or "jus" here, if you want extra flavour, that's what the salt and pepper shakers are for!

In a world of too many choices and exotic variety, I found this a refreshing change. Just good, simple and very tasty food that fills you up without weighing you down or emptying your pockets. Food from yesteryear with prices to match.


The entire menu at the Oceanic Cafe. All seven items. There is only one choice of cold drink, a can of Coke. Hot drink choice is tea or coffee. No latte, flat white, cappuccino, espresso or any other fancy muck.

The Oceanic is a little leftover slice of a Sydney that has long gone. I'll be back again very soon for another delicious trip back in time!


The Oceanic Cafe is at 312 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, Australia.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me. For my first visit if/when I go I will have the lamb chops and a pot/cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete